If you or someone you know has had a baby (whether weeks, months, or even YEARS ago!) it is not uncommon for people to think "If I had a baby this is something I’m going to have to live with) or it will go eventually go away on it's own." It can be quite easy to think that you can go on in life, limiting your activities or just modifying the old version of what you “used to do”.
If any of these describes you, we want you to know that you are not alone... And we hear our clients talk about these feelings all the time! In fact Diastasis Recti is THE most common problem that we see in our women’s health physical therapy clinic in Encinitas. We see people like this all the time and they all want the same thing!
And when it comes to living with abdominal separation (or postnatal belly bulge even when you have lost all your baby weight!), everybody we see wants to know...
“Why is This Happening to Me?”
“What Can I do To Strengthen My Core, Improve the Appearance, and Prevent it From Getting Worse? "...
Most people think that when they get Diastasis Recti (abdominal separation) it’s simply going to go away on it’s own if I do enough crunches or running, or “I guess the only way to fix this is to get a tummy tuck surgery”. The hope is that they may wake up and the problem will have disappeared like Houdini, almost like it had never even occurred.
But then they are reminded again when they try that new fitness class and struggle with what exercises to do (“will I make it worse?”) the same "hope" you had before to magically drive it away does not happen. Several months later you're still living with abdominal separation or diastasis recti (and been told surgery may be your only option) and some other new issues may start happening like back pain or “leaking” when you cough or sneeze” which often gets worse than it was before.
Does That Sound Like You?
Another scenario that we see quite frequently in our Physical Therapy Clinic is when people go to the Doctor, and the Doctor doesn’t know what to tell them except “you need surgery and that is the only way to resolve it”. Does that sound familiar?
But wait... it gets even better! This approach is extreme and risky as many women don’t want to go under the knife, or don’t have the time to be down resting when they have a family to care for! Also, this surgery can come with complications and is important to have a core foundation in the muscles underneath first. Isn’t it better to treat it conservatively instead?
Other times many women go online to find solutions, they do a google or YouTube search for answers to the problem, they’ve tried it all but still no significant change!
The irony really is, that this approach to treating pelvic floor dysfunction by doing Kegels, watching random YouTube videos for Diastasis Recti help, or taking painkillers for back pain is highly ineffective. It often causes more frustration because the passive approach does not work for most people. It's madness... and even borderline insanity (that we keep doing things the same way and expecting a different result each time). This can even explain why so many moms are suffering with postnatal concerns that have not been resolved.
Do You Feel That Way Too?
If you’re currently living with diastasis recti, here are just 7 more reasons why it could be lasting longer than it should be:
- You thought it would go away on it’s own... but it didn’t.
- You went to the Doctor who told you to just live with it or opt for a “tummy tuck” with a plastic surgeon.
- A family member, or friend, told you that everybody gets this after multiple babies, so it should just be accepted.
- You tried other healthcare professionals, or a physical therapist in the past, but nothing they said or did seemed to help very much.
- You decided to do Pilates exercise or lots of abdominal work and it didn’t resolve.
- You thought using an abdominal binder would fix it, but that won't get to the underlying cause of the problem.
- You tried Googling "Diastasis Recti" or “abdominal separation” and have used YouTube videos to do exercises but they either didn’t do a thing.
Note: This Free Discovery Session is something that we offer to people who are very nervous or skeptical about Physical Therapy, they are unsure of its benefits or if they don't know if it's right for them. If that sounds like you, then please start with a free discovery session so that we can work with you to find out what is wrong and what can be done. This is a great way to start without any financial risk on your part.
If any of the above have ever happened to you, we would love to help you and invite you to book in a call to talk with one of our women’s health specialists at our Encinitas Physical Therapy Clinic to find out what can be done to help your specific problem. We have many options even if you don’t live in locally! Still give us a call or email us if you want a resolution...
And here is some good news for you...
Because you may have tried any or all of the things we list above, it is actually a GOOD THING. The good thing is that we will be able to determine what doesn’t work... making you closer to finding the thing that does!
Click the link below to schedule a call with us... If you would like to get some really helpful advice given to you over the phone. The phone call is complementary and there is no obligation to book any appointments with us after the call is over. Our goal is to help you make the right decision about what to do next for your health.
“What Can I Do To Help MY Diastasis Recti?”...
Well, here's 3 things you can do:
- First things first, you need to make a decision about getting proper help. So many people procrastinate for so long, thinking that Diastasis Recti will "just go away with time," but then 6 months down the line they’re still putting up with it. Worst off... nothing has really changed… Or it gets worse
- Next, you need to do the RIGHT exercises. One of the best things that we do to help you ease your abdominals is to do the right SERIES of progressed exercises. The right exercises given to you by a Physical Therapist will help ease any pain, improve your core strength from the “inside out” and allow you to feel more confident about your body. How does that sound?
- You need to get some real, “hands-on” Physical Therapy treatment. Physical Therapy is proven to help people with diastasis recti, if done the right way! In fact, at LEVEL4 it’s one of the most common women’s health issues we see. Often times it is accompanied by back pain, pelvic floor weakness, or hip issues. Women's Health Physical Therapy can help get you back to living the life you deserve and make your feel more empowered to take on fitness activities the RIGHT way!
“How Can Choosing to See a Physical Therapy Specialist at LEVEL4 Help You Heal Your Diastasis Recti?"
Here’s just a few of the things our Physical Therapy Team can do for you:
- We will thoroughly evaluate your spine, pelvis, and abdominals - often inside 20 minutes and determine the best appropriate plan of action
- We can quickly take away the any other pain and stiffness, usually inside a couple of sessions
- We will ensure that your problem is addressed and “corrected” so you can heal properly. Then, we will provide you with the perfect set of exercises that will speed up your recovery
- We can help you avoid dangerous abdominal surgery
- We can help you to finally feel more confident about your body and eliminate any worry that the issue might get worse or hinder you from the workouts you WANT to do!
"I suffered for 7 months before Dr. Dawn was recommended to me – I felt better instantly just from knowing that someone actually knew and understood what I was going through."Sarah Age 29, Encinitas, CA
"I was told by my OBG-YN that my diastasis recti would go away on its own and it didn't. I went back to the gym and unfortunately made matters worse. A friend recommended Dr. Dawn and within a few sessions my diastais recti was practically gone. She took the time to explain what exercises were best and appropriate for me and she helped me get over my fear of doing the wrong exercises. I can't thank her enough."Stacy 36, Carlsbad, CA
"My frustration was mostly that I felt like I had to modify my exercise classes when others were doing planks and crunches I was fearful I would make my issue worse! Now I learned how to build a stronger foundation from the inside, my abdominals look better, and I feel like I can get a great workout without fearing the exercises given in my fitness classes!"Jessica 32, Vista, CA
"Dr. Dawn takes the time to actually show you how to do each exercise correctly. I always get the feeling that she cares enough to have thought about all of the exercises she gives you… and that makes you feel more confident and sure that they are going to make a difference like you'd hope."Connie Age 42, Del Mar, CA
Disclaimer - Individual results may vary.
See more reviews
Click image for more