Easing Symptoms of Prolapse Naturally
You may have heard it talked about in hushed whispers with your friends, your mothers groups and online: The Dreaded Prolapse!
But a prolapsed bladder, uterus or rectum does not have to incite fear any longer. This guide is designed to help you better understand your body, help you plan a course of action to address your prolapse surgery free, and understand how prolapse can be treated in a physical therapy clinic. Read the questions and answers below to become empowered
Is My Bladder/Uterus/Rectum Falling Out of Me?
I want to reassure you : If you have a prolapse, your actual organ is not falling out of your body!!!What you see/feel is the part of the vaginal wall that the organ (bowel/ bladder/ uterus) is pushing on.
What is Prolapse and How do I Know if I Have it?
Simply put, prolapse is the decreased support of the pelvic organs (Bladder, uterus, rectum) causing descent of the organs against the vaginal walls. Symptoms vary, but some women may see or feel a "lump" like a golf ball or tennis ball inside their vagina that was not there before. Sometimes you may see your cervix or urethra more prominently. The severity of prolapse varies from mild/ moderate ( where the prolapse is located within the confines of the vagina) to severe where the prolapsed area is visible outside the entrance of the vagina. Occasionally, women experience difficulty with urinating or having a bowel movement.
Women with prolapse generally report a feeling of fullness/achiness in the abdomen, cramping, back ache or heaviness. Sometimes, women report difficult or obstructed intercourse, and difficulty with urination or bowel movements. Symptoms usually worsen with prolonged time on your feet, frequent lifting or exercise.
I Never Gave Birth to Any Babies, and I Practice Kegels, How Did I Get Prolapse?
Prolapse can be caused by many things:
- Childbirth (vaginal and C section!)
- Genetic ( people with “looser “ ligaments)
- Inadequate pressure management in the abdomen (ie breath holding during lifting)
- Weak pelvic floor
My Doctor Says I Have Prolapse and Need Surgery. I Don't Want to go Under the Knife but I Want to Return to Running, What Should I do?
Surgical intervention is not necessary for everyone. Many women with mild, moderate and even severe prolapse find relief of their prolapse symptoms from conservative measures such as Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy, supportive garments, and use of an internal supportive device called a pessary.
Your surgeon may not tell you this, but prolapse surgeries have nearly a 50% recurrence rate. The reason for this? Because the underlying issue with the muscles wasn’t resolved by the surgery. Participating in Pelvic Floor PT, is necessary to ensure resolution of the musculoskeletal cause of prolapse.
Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy?....
Can't I just do Kegels or buy a Kegel exerciser?
Kegels or pelvic floor muscle contraction, are an important part of our pelvic floor health. However, Many women do not perform a Kegel correctly even with written or verbal instructions, which could potentially cause worsening prolapse or make you more likely to put pressure on your organs- even with the use of technology/devices found online.
While your Pelvic Floor Specialist will most likely incorporate pelvic floor strengthening into your treatment plan, a multitude of other techniques are necessary to provide symptom management or resolution of prolapse.
If any of these describes what you were thinking, we want you to know that you are not alone... And we hear our clients talk about these "feelings" and "thoughts" all the time. In fact, Pelvic Organ Prolapse is one of THE most common problems that we see in our physical therapy clinic in Encinitas. We see people like this all the time and they all want the same thing!
And when it comes to living with Prolapse everybody we see wants to know...
"Why is This Happening to Me?"
"Why Am I Still Suffering With Prolapse symptoms After Putting Up With It For Months or Even Years!"...
Does That Sound Like You?
You are a busy mom of two. You spend all day on your feet at work, then you go home and wrangle your family. You have noticed at the end of the day, you are experiencing a feeling of “something” inside your vagina. It feels a bit like sitting on a tennis ball. Sometimes you notice a low back ache and while in the shower it looks like something is falling out of you!!!
You go to see your regular doctor, who takes a look and says “ yep, it’s prolapse, a lot of women in their 40’s have it”. Without any further explanation, he or she writes a referral to a surgeon.
You lead a very active lifestyle and are not interested in taking 6 weeks off of work for a surgery that could have multiple complications, or that may not even work permanently!
Do You Feel That Way Too?
If You’re Currently Living With Discomfort From Prolapse, Here’s Just 9 More Reasons Why it Could be Lasting Longer Than it Should be:
- You’ve got prolapse and have been told by your doctor that what you need to do is “to just rest” or “do your Kegel exercises” or “the only thing you can do is surgery.”
- You’ve been told you need surgery, but you have a sneaking suspicion that you can have success without going under the knife.
- You have pain or discomfort with exercising, lifting and potentially even intercourse.
- You tried other Healthcare Professionals, or a Physical Therapist in the past, who have so far FAILED to address your problem and are frustrated that it is not going away.
- You’ve had NOTHING like specific Manual techniques “done for you” by another PT (The best techniques that would bring a huge reduction in your discomfort levels).
- You continue to suffer and are unable to live a normal life without discomfort/heaviness/cramping. And there are a number of ways I’m going to be able to help you.
- You decided to work on “Kegels” yourself with a device you bought thinking it might help, but you haven’t noticed a difference.
- You tried Googling “Prolapse Exercises" and have used YouTube videos to do exercises but they either didn’t do a thing, or perhaps made your prolapse much worse.
- You thought it would be a good idea to just stop the activities (like running or exercising) for the mean time until your symptoms improved, but now you are afraid to do them and your health is suffering
If any of these have ever happened to you, we would love to help you and invite you to book in a call to talk with one of our women’s health specialists at our Encinitas Physical Therapy Clinic to find out what can be done to help your specific problem.
And here is some good news for you...
Because you may have tried any or all of the things we list above, it is actually a GOOD THING. The good thing is that we will be able to determine what doesn’t work... making you closer to finding the thing that does!
Click the link below to schedule a call with us... If you would like to get some really helpful advice given to you over the phone. The phone call is complementary and there is no obligation to book any appointments with us after the call is over. Our goal is to help you make the right decision about what to do next for your health.
“What Can I Do To Get Rid Of my Prolapse Symptoms Quickly?”...
Well, here's 4 things you can do:
- 1. First things first, you need to make a decision about getting proper help. So many people procrastinate for so long, thinking that pelvic organ prolapse discomfort will "just go away with time," but then 6 months down the line they’re still putting up with it. Worst off... nothing has really changed… Or it gets worse.
- 2. Next, you need to do the RIGHT exercises. One of the best things that we do to help you ease your prolapse symptoms is to do the right SERIES of progressed exercises. The right exercises given to you by a Women’s Health Physical Therapist will help ease discomfort, and allow you to quickly move more freely again. We make sure that the problems don’t come back anytime soon or aggravate your symptoms anymore, like some exercises will do. How does that sound?
- 3. You will want to avoid activities that cause increased pressure through the abdomen such as straining, or holding your breath.
- 4. It would really help if you were given the appropriate strengthening exercises for improving your posture, combined with the appropriate hands-on treatment, to get you active and healthy as quickly as possible as you may have instability in your joints from the change in posture and hormones, needing the guidance of a PT with the proper treatment strategy. You need to get some real, “hands-on” Physical Therapy treatment. Physical Therapy is proven to help people with prolapse. If it threatens your ability to perform the exercise you love, or it gets in the way of feeling like yourself, we understand this, we hear it all the time from other women just like you! Pelvic Physical Therapy can help get you back to living the life you deserve as quickly as possible.
If you would like to know how the Women’s Health Physical Therapists at LEVEL4 in Encinitas can help you live with less pelvic pain, then we invite you to start with a completely free, no-obligation, risk free appointment at our clinic:
Note: This Free Discovery Session is something that we offer to people who are very nervous or skeptical about Physical Therapy, they are unsure of its benefits or if they don't know if it's right for them. If that sounds like you, then please start with a free discovery session so that we can work with you to find out what is wrong and what can be done. This is a great way to start without any financial risk on your part.
So the next question is...
“How Can Choosing to See a Physical Therapy Specialist at LEVEL4 Help You Get Rid of Your Prolapse... In The Next Few Days?”
Here’s just a few of the things our Physical Therapy Team can do for you:
- We will thoroughly evaluate your prolapse symptoms - often inside 20 minutes and determine the root cause of your symptoms.
- We can quickly take away the discomfort, usually inside a couple of sessions and address the problem, unlike other treatments you have been given.
- We will ensure that your problem is addressed and “corrected” so you can heal properly. Then, we will provide you with the perfect set of exercises and/or stretches that will speed up your recovery.
- We can help you put an end to changing your physical activity program.
- We can help you avoid taking time off from doing the things you love and need to do for your family.
- We can help you keep out of the Doctor’s office or from making repeat visits only to be told you need surgery...or solutions that you don’t believe in!
- We can help you get back to enjoying quality time with family and friends that prolapse has stolen from you.
- We can help you to finally feel confident that this problem will be eased and not affect your life anymore!
Basically, we can help you get back to living life free from the curse of bladder, uterus, or bowel prolapse.
"I suffered for 7 months before Dr. Dawn was recommended to me – I felt better instantly just from knowing that someone actually knew and understood what I was going through."Sarah 29, Encinitas, CA
"I went to another PT clinic which didn’t help me at all and it was my co-worker who started asking around and we got recommended to see Dr. Dawn…she and the whole team are great and she helped me get over my pelvic pain. Thank you."Tonya 43, Carlsbad, CA
"My problem with incontinence started after my first child – and only got worse after my second son was born. The doctor told me it would just go away, but that didn’t happen. I was recommended to see Dr. Dawn by someone at work and I told her my priority was to be able to run and workout without feeling embarrassed. I achieved that and now I’m feeling much better than I ever thought possible." Thank you Dr. Dawn so very much!"Brenda 36, Vista, CA
"Dr. Dawn takes the time to actually show you how to do each exercise correctly. I always get the feeling that she cares enough to have thought about all of the exercises she gives you… and that makes you feel more confident and sure that they are going to make a difference like you'd hope."Connie 42, Del Mar, CA
See more reviews
Click image for more