If you or someone you know has sustained a sports injury or has been suffering with an injury for a while now, then you are probably feeling pretty bad about not being able to participate. It can be very tempting to simply "wait and see" if it heals or have been told to just rest 6 weeks and it will get better...
Or maybe you feel down because you are "stuck", wanting to get back, but feel lost or wondering if you will ever be able to get back to playing sports and stay active like you used to be.
If you feel like this, we are here to tell you that you are not alone. We see people all the time who have the same feelings and simply want to get back to playing their sport. That's why our clinic stays busy with people wanting to get back to their sport under the beautiful San Diego sun.
On top of that, we have spent a combined 40 years in the sports realm treating athletes that ranged from high school sports to recreational league enthusiast to professional level athletes. And when someone would get hurt on our teams, we started treatment immediately the next day.
This mindset is completely opposite of how most to people think today when it comes to injuries. The faster you get treatment, usually the faster your recovery is. You are able to eliminate the stiffness quickly, decrease the pain almost immediately, and get you on the road to recovery. So when you do not respond appropriately to a sports injury, you leave yourself suffering with the injury and wondering:
"It's been a month now... So why am I still suffering with this sports injury that is also keeping me from being active and playing my favorite sport?"
So many people think that their sports injury is "not that bad" and it will get better with just a little rest and they will quickly be able to exercise and play their sport again. But when they do go back to their sport again, they are restricted or limited, which can make things even worse than when it first happened. You see, most people will have little to no pain when they rest... And then when you start back up, the pain comes back. And no matter how much you rest it, it doesn't seem to get any better.
Does That Sound Like You?
Here is another scenario we see all the time in our clinic... People go to see the doctor and the doctor tells them rest, wear a brace or splint, "take these painkillers" to "see how it goes" - And then come back in 6 weeks... Only to return to the same doctor because it hasn't really improved, and given MORE rest and ANOTHER prescription for strong medication.
This issue is that most of the sports injuries out there (like ankle sprains, runner's knee, or hamstring injuries), complete REST is rarely the best way to recover quickly.
So maybe you are a bit confused, or even frustrated, because you've been told so many different things. Maybe you have looked up information on the internet and feel more confused by the amount of info that is out there, because you don't want to do the wrong thing - making your injury even worse!
Sports injuries can be quite confusing because more often than not, the source of your pain is coming from somewhere else. What you believe is the injured area, is only the "VICTIM" and and not the TRUE CAUSE of your pain. If you don't fix this issue, the problem will continue to show itself... again and again! And if you rest too long, then more problems come about and complicate the whole injury.
The confusion about "REST" often leads people to delay in making a decision about what to do to help fix their injury and get back to sport quickly. What's even worse, is that some people just end up "accepting" that their days of sports are all over... Like this is normal and the way it has to be.
Is This How You Feel Too?
If You Are Currently Frustrated And Living With A Sports Injury, Here Are 8 Reasons Why It Could Be Taking Longer To Return:
- You thought it would go away on it’s own... but it didn’t.
You went to the Doctor who told you to just rest and take painkillers - but the pills did not do anything to help your sports injury, and as soon as they wore off, chronic pain struck again.
- A family member, or friend, told you that everybody who plays sports gets hurt, especially as they get older, so it should just be accepted.
- You tried other Healthcare Professionals, or a Physical Therapist in the past, but nothing they said or did seemed to help very much.
- You tried Googling "How to recover from..." and have used YouTube videos to do exercises but they either didn’t do a thing, or perhaps made your pain much worse.
- You thought it would be a good idea to rest because your sports injury was so bad, but all that did was make it feel even more stiff and tight.
- You decided to get a few “massages” hoping that would fix the pain, but all they did was feel nice and relaxing, and didn’t do anything to fix it long term.
- You thought using a brace, splint or support would alleviate your pain for good, but that won't get to the underlying cause of the problem.
If any of these have happened to you, then we would love to help you by inviting you to book a call to talk with one of our physical therapy experts at our clinic to find out what can be done to help you.
The fact that you’ve tried any or all of these things already is actually a GOOD THING because when you know what doesn’t work and you are closer to finding the few thing that does!
Click the button below to book a call with us if you would like to get some solid advice given to you for FREE over the phone. The phone call is complementary and there is no obligation to book any appointments with us after the call is over. Our goal is to help you make the right decision about what to do next for the best to end the limitations due to a sports injury.
Well, here's 4 things you can do:
- First things first, you need to make a decision about getting proper help. So many people procrastinate for so long, thinking that pain will "just go away with time," but then 6 months down the line they’re still putting up with it. Worst off... nothing has really changed… Or it gets worse
- Next, you need to do the RIGHT exercises. One of the best things that we do to help you ease your pain is to do the right SERIES of progressed exercises. The right exercises given to you by a Physical Therapist will help ease pain, and allow you to quickly move more freely again. We make sure that the problems don’t come back anytime soon or aggravate your back pain anymore, like some exercises will do. How does that sound?
- You will want to avoid "RESTING TOO MUCH". The irony is that rest is usually the worst thing you can do for sports injuries... especially for too long. Have you ever tried to get up from the couch after resting for a while, only to find that it is painfully difficult because of stiffness and tightness? One of the absolute worst things you can ever do that slows the recovery process is sit for prolonged periods of time or rest in the same position for more than 30 minutes at a time. If you rest too much, you will feel that stiffness and tightness. It would really help if you were given the appropriate strengthening exercises for improving your strength, combined with the appropriate hands-on treatment, to get you active and healthy as quickly as possible.
- You need to get some real, “hands-on” Physical Therapy treatment. Physical Therapy is proven to help people with pain. In fact, at LEVEL4 wee see these injuries all the time. If your injury is stopping you from being active or playing your sport, affects your job, if it threatens your independence or gets in the way of spending quality time with family and friends, the Physical Therapist can help get you back to living the life you deserve as quickly as possible.
If you would like to know how the Physical Therapy team at LEVEL4 in Encinitas can help you live with less pain, then we invite you to start with a completely free, no-obligation, risk free taster session at our clinic:
Note: This Free Taster Session is something that we offer to people who are very nervous or skeptical about Physical Therapy, they are unsure of its benefits or if they don't know if it's right for them. If that sounds like you, then please start with a free taster session so that we can work with you to find out what is wrong and what can be done. This is a great way to start without any financial risk on your part.
So the next question is...
“How Can Choosing to See a Physical Therapy Specialist at LEVEL4 Help You Get Rid of Your Sports Injury For Good?”
Here’s just a few of the things our Physical Therapy Team can do for you:
- We will thoroughly evaluate your injury - often inside 20 minutes and determine the root cause of your pain
- We can quickly take away the pain and stiffness, usually inside a couple of sessions
- Pain can “suck” you of energy and limit your ability to play your favorite sport, and we can help you get back to enjoying that fulfilling feeling again and return you to what you love safely
- We will ensure that your problem is addressed and “corrected” so you can heal properly. Then, we will provide you with the perfect set of exercises and/or stretches that will speed up your recovery
- We can help you put an end to needing to take all of those painkillers that are no good for your health long-term
- We can help you avoid dangerous surgery and painful injections
- We can help you keep out of the Doctor’s office or from making repeat visits only to be given more pills!
- We can help you get back to enjoying quality time with family and friends that your injury has taken from you
- We can help you to finally walk normally, move more freely and give you confidence about what to do if you start to feel "your pain".
Basically, we can help you get back to living life free from daily, annoying and frustrating sports injuries and return to the sport you love so much.
Hear from Mara about her recovery back to rugby.
"At first I thought with time my shoulder pain would go away, and then I realized it wasn't going to work. I wish I'd come to see the specialists at LEVEL4 much sooner because they made it so easy to start feeling better again after the first visit. Don't do what I did and wait! Go and see the guys at Level4...they are the best!"Louise 48, Solana Beach, CA
"I originally had an Achilles Tendon Injury…my Dad and my brother had previously been here at LEVEL4 and told me to come…I’m so glad I did! I wasn’t getting anywhere with my first physical therapist under my insurance plan and now I’m back to doing everything I once could. I am really happy with everything the team at Level4 did for me. The whole staff is great and the service is excellent!"Amanda 52, Oceanside, CA
Hear how Kendall returned to her fitness activities.
"You think you can sort it out for yourself, it comes and goes, but there comes a point when you think, well, I’ve been missing out now for 6 weeks, I’ve got to go and do something to get it looked at properly. The LEVEL4 team has helped solve my Knee problems and got me going again quicker than any other way I’ve tried."Dave 52, Encinitas, CA
"I play squash and love to keep fit, but have suffered from calf, muscular and other sports type injuries…I’ve made the mistake in the past of leaving it too long but Physical Therapy here always gets me back on track and repaired quickly – you’ve got to listen to what these physical therapists say, you always feel it’s positive what they do and I like that they advise what you can be doing to prevent it happening again – Physical Therapy at LEVEL4 Physio-Wellness-Performance always works for me!"Andy 64, Del Mar, CA
See more reviews
Click image for more