Did you know that falls in the elderly that lead to injury are more common than the number of strokes that occur in the United states each year? And every second of every day, more than one third of adults 65 and older fall each year in the United States and nearly 30% of people who fall suffer moderate to severe injuries; making falls the number one cause of injuries and deaths from injury among older Americans.
If you or someone you know has a balance issue, has had a fall in the last 2 years (whether it resulted in an injury or not), feels unsteady when they walk, relies on a cane or loved one to steady themselves, or even fears going outside their home because they think they may fall, it is, unfortunately, not uncommon for people to think "If I ignore this, it will go away on it's own." It can be quite easy to think that the cause was from "it's the way is has to be" or "I'm just slowing down"... Or that what you are experiencing is something you must live with because you are aging... and that is just what happens as you get older. Maybe you have done nothing at all to bring on this balance issue... but it just isn't getting any better (or in fact worse over the last few months).
If any of these describes you, we want you to know that you are not alone... And we hear our clients talk about these "feelings" and "thoughts" all the time. In fact, Balance and Falls symptoms are a more common problem that we see in our physical therapy clinic in Encinitas. We see people like this all the time and they all want the same thing!
And when it comes to living with these balance issue, everybody we see wants to know...
"Why is This Happening to Me?"...
“Why Am I Still Suffering With These Balance Issues After Putting Up With It For 6 Months (Maybe More)?"...
Most people think that when they balance issue, it’s simply going to go away on it’s own. The hope is that they may wake up the next morning, the balance will be dramatically improved or eve disappeared like Houdini, almost like it had never even occurred.
But then the issue continues and the same "hope" you had before to magically drive it away does not happen. Several months later you're still living with balance issue (making you an even great fall risk), which often gets worse than it was before.
Does That Sound Like You?
Another scenario that we see quite frequently in our Physical Therapy Clinic is when people go to the Doctor, and the Doctor tells them to just “use a cane or walker”... or “it's just your age and you should deal with it". Does that sound familiar? And let's face it, nobody wants to use a cane or walker if they can avoid it.
But wait... it gets even better! This approach rarely offers significant positive outcomes to FIX THE ISSUE. We like to say that it puts a band-aide on the situation.
So you balance has improved because you have been given a false sense of security but yet the issue continues, or even gets worse.
And if you are over the age of 55, you probably take medication to keep your body systems under control. Did you know that if you take more than 4 medications in a day, then you have an increased risk of falls as a side effect of the medications?
The irony really is, that the "current" approach to treating balance and falls is highly ineffective. It often causes more frustration because they aren't getting to the root cause of why you have balance issues in the first place. And when you are given a cane or walker, it improves your balance because it increases your base of support. Guess what happens if you fall and you have been using a cane or a walker, the next step is putting you into a wheelchair then. And we wonder why we have such a problem with managing these balance here! It's madness... and even borderline insanity (that we keep doing things the same way and expecting a different result each time). This can even explain why so many people aged 55+ are suffering with balance issues, which makes you less active and difficult to do the things you love.
Do You Feel That Way Too?
If You’re Currently Living With Balance Issues, Here’s Just 6 More Reasons Why It Could Be Lasting Longer Than It Should Be:
- You thought it would go away on it’s own... but it didn’t
- You went to the Doctor who told you to just gave you a cane or walker and told you to take it easy for a little while
- A family member, or friend, told you that everybody gets balance issues as they get older, so it should just be accepted
- You tried other Healthcare Professionals, or a Physical Therapist in the past, but nothing they said or did seemed to help very much
- You tried Googling "Balance and Falls" and have used YouTube videos to do exercises but they either didn’t do a thing, or perhaps made you feel so uncomfortable that you fear making it much worse
- You thought it would be a good idea to move less because your balance issue was so bad, but all that did was make it feel even more unbalanced when you tried to move around
If any of these have ever happened to you, we would love to help you and invite you to book in a call to talk with one of our Balance and Falls Specialists at our Encinitas Physical Therapy Clinic to find out what can be done to help your specific problem.
And here is some good news for you...
Because you may have tried any or all of the things we list above, it is actually a GOOD THING. The good thing is that we will be able to determine what doesn’t work... making you closer to finding the thing that does!
Click the link below to schedule a call with us... If you would like to get some really helpful advice given to you over the phone. The phone call is complementary and there is no obligation to book any appointments with us after the call is over. Our goal is to help you make the right decision about what to do next for your health.
Here's A Self-Screen For You...
Click To Watch A Simple Self-Screen >
“What Can I Do To Get Rid Of My Balance Concerns?”...
Well, here's 4 things you can do:
- First things first, you need to make a decision about getting proper help. So many people procrastinate for so long, thinking that balance isses will "just go away with time," but then 6 months down the line they’re still putting up with it. Worst off... nothing has really changed… Or it gets worse
- Next, you need to do the RIGHT exercises. One of the best things that we do to help you reduce your risk of falls is to do the right SERIES of progressed exercises. The right exercises given to you by a Physical Therapist will help ease the unsteady feeling you have while walking, and allow you to quickly move more freely again. We make sure that the problems don’t come back anytime soon or aggravate other areas of concern anymore, like some exercises will do. How does that sound?
- You will want to avoid sitting and long periods of time. The irony is that rest is usually the worst thing that you can do for your balance issue. Have you ever tried to get up from the couch after resting for a while, only to find that it is difficult because of the unsteadiness? One of the absolute worst things you can ever do that adds to balance issue is sit for prolonged periods of time or rest in the same position for more than 30 minutes at a time. If you rest too much, you don't challenge your body in the way it needs to produce positive gains. It would really help if you were given the appropriate strengthening exercises for improving your posture, combined with the appropriate hands-on treatment, to get you active, balanced and healthy as quickly as possible.
- You need to get some real, “hands-on” Physical Therapy treatment. Physical Therapy is proven to help people with balance issues. In fact, at LEVEL4 it’s one of the most common things we see in people over the age of 55. If your balance problem is affecting your recreational activities, your ability to keep active, if it threatens your independence or gets in the way of spending quality time with family and friends, then Physical Therapy can help get you back to living the life you deserve as quickly as possible.
If you would like to know how the Physical Therapy team at LEVEL4 in Encinitas can help you live a more "balanced" life, then we invite you to start with a completely free, no-obligation, risk free appointment at our clinic:
Note: This Free Discovery Session is something that we offer to people who are very nervous or skeptical about Physical Therapy, they are unsure of its benefits or if they don't know if it's right for them. If that sounds like you, then please start with a free discovery dession so that we can work with you to find out what is wrong and what can be done. This is a great way to start without any financial risk on your part.
So the next question is...
“How Can Choosing to See a Physical Therapy Specialist at LEVEL4 Help You Get Rid of Your Balance Issues?”
Here’s just a few of the things our Physical Therapy Team can do for you:
Basically, we can help you get back to living life with less frustration of unsteadiness and risk of falls.
- We will thoroughly evaluate your balance - often inside 20 minutes and determine the root cause of your balance problem.
- We can quickly educate you on exactly what is going on and what you can start doing to gain confidence about your balance concern, usually inside a couple of sessions.
- We will ensure that your problem is addressed and “corrected” so you can get back to doing what you love.
- Then, we will provide you with the perfect set of exercises and/or stretches that will speed up your recovery.
- We can help you put an end to needing to use a cane or walker that are no good for your health long-term.
- We can help you get back to enjoying quality time with family and friends that balance issues have likely stolen from you.
- We can help you to be able to walk longer than 20 minutes and be able to sit more comfortably... without your back feeling weak and painful or like your legs are going to "go out".
Here's Another Self-Screen For You...
Click To Watch Another Self-Screen >
"I was a bit skeptical about going at first but after the treatments I received at LEVEL4 I was able to play tennis again without a knee support and I'm now able to go up and down stairs without pain for the first time in 5 and a half years. I did have physical therapy someone else at first but the experience is nothing like here. I wish I came to LEVEL4 first rather than where my doctor referred me to - it was a waste of my time. I wish I knew about the team at LEVEL4 earlier because they got me active and pain free again within a few visits."Valerie 76, Poway
"The team at LEVEL4 is made up of happy, friendly people. Their unique hands on treatments combined with specific exercises has always worked for me and has given me the confidence to walk around again in my home and on the beach comfortably and without having to use a cane anymore. All in all, the physical therapists at LEVEL4 are the best!"Eleanor 63, Carlsbad
See more reviews
Click image for more